Sunday, January 31, 2010

A New Project for 2010



I was sooooo excited to get a garden spot at the Marymoore Community Garden for 2010! Then I went to find our little piece of the earth that will bring joy and food this summer. And was a little put off by the mess left by the previous owner.I decided it was time to put my grubby clothes on and get to work. A couple of hours of work later and things were looking much better. The rain was coming down harder and I had to remind myself that it was just January after all. It's not done yet but another couple of hours and it should be ready to plant when the weather is ready for planting.

The garden goes back as far as the white plastic. It is 10 feet by 40 feet. The little trellis in the middle is actually raspberries with a few strawberry plants around it! This community garden must stay organic, so no chemical fertilizers or pesticides (think slugs). I have learned that used coffee grounds mixed with dead leaves gives that special something to make things grow well and deters slugs. I have applied this treatment to the far back few feet of the garden. It doesn't look like much yet, but we want it to be a show piece in a few months.

2 comments:

  1. The garden sounds like a fun project. When Janice told me about it last night my only comment was that you shouldn't plant 2 rows of zeuchini (or even one for that matter). You would have enough zeuchini to feed the entire ward and more. I am sure that you were allready well aware of this though. -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've put in a lot of work already! Going along with your first post, they say gardening can be good exercise. It's fun for you to have a blog again!

    ReplyDelete